Friday, December 01, 2006

Bad Night, Good Day

I am always reluctant to post that Nate is doing better. Actually, he is doing better today and in general. However, he had a bad night. Trey and I were up all night with him. He was crying, very uncomfortable, and desatting all the time. He was on oxygen all night and we would turn it down, then have to turn it back up, etc. We really aren't sure what was wrong with him. His new bi-pap functions differently than his old one and we think it's not working like it should. We finally changed to the old bi-pap in the middle of the night, but he still continued to fuss some and needed O2.

Then this morning and so far today, he has done very well. No O2 needed and he is in a good mood and seems comfortable. We are so happy about that!!

We have a lot of snow here and when I got up and went outside to hear lots of kids playing in the snow and having a great time, I got very emotional. Of course, all I could think was "I wish Nate could be out here having fun in the snow". Sometimes, my heart aches for all the things he can't do like normal children. In the winter, I wish he could play in the snow. In the spring and summer, I wish he could be out playing, jumping on a trampoline, playing soccer, etc. I know that Trey and I notice things that normal children can do more so than others notice it. We realize that, to most people, those things are taken for granted and we wonder if they know how blessed they are. Then we grieve for Nate. But it QUICKLY passes. All we have to do is go see Nate, see how happy he is, that he doesn't know any different and he is special in his own way. He doesn't care about those things other children can do, so why should WE!!!! He's happy and has a wonderful quality of life. He CAN do things, he can do a lot of things! And we celebrate all of the things he can do, even if they are minor to some people, they are MAJOR to us! We couldn't love him any more or be more proud of him!

I got over my emotions, and thought OK, so what that he can't play in the snow. He can enjoy it!!!! So, Trey and I headed out to build Nate a snowman outside his window. He watched us and laughed and made lots of sounds. Just because he can't build a snowman, doesn't mean he can't have one. He loves it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Jen and Uncle Trey,
Great to hear Nathan's getting better. More improvement to come!

Unknown said...

I've been reading and reading your archives. I love the snowman. God knew what he was doing when he blessed you with Nate.